Re: (TFT) TFT: Magical Ingredients

Thanks for the summary of the lists.  Having it all calculated out like
that is nice.

However, I do have a problem with one comment you make below.

>14-Hex Dragon Hide            32,000

>   By the way, when my campaign's characters want to sell equipment or
>magical ingredients in town (like a 14-hex dragon hide) they only get 1/4 of
>the list price, /not/ the prices listed in the book!  This rule has held up
>well under playtesting, and it's a good rule for solitaire play too.

Being mostly a player, I never liked automatically being penalized on the
prices I should recieve for items.  I realize that the goal is to keep a
character's money in check, but if a character or party goes through all of
the risk involved in aquiring a 14-hex dragon hide, I think they deserve
the reward of selling it for a fair price.

Now if the characters just want to walk into town and sell it to the first
person they come across, fine, 1/4 sounds fair.  Characters with merchant
or speach-type skills should at least get a chance to get a better deal.
For characters without such talents, the roleplaying that can be done
barganning for a better price or finding someone in need of such an item
may prove to be half of the fun.

If the dragon was played tough, the party probably lost a least one
character and used up a few potions.  Why would a group of characters risk
that for a mere $8000 (assuming they didn't need the hide for their own
wizard)?  Assuming a 4 character party, that's just enough to get each
person a weak magic item.

Finally, why should characters not be able to receive what an NPC could?
If the market price for a 14-Hex dragon hide is $32000, someone else is
also paying that price (not just the PCs).  Why can't the characters
approach the local wizards guild and say "We heard you're going to buy a
dragon's hide from John the merchant for $32000.  We'll sell you one right
now for $30000."  Of course how they found out the guild was looking for a
hide may also offer some good roleplaying possibilities.

What do you guys think?  Am I just being greedy, or would giving out $32000
throw your campaign balance all out of wack?  I think by the time
characters are ready to take on a big challenge like a 14-Hex dragon, the
equipment that they want and need to survive costs alot anyway.

Just ranting,
Matt