Re: (TFT) TFT: Chalupas

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:34:47 -0700 (MST), Daniel Tulloh
<daniel@jaws.greatwhite.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, ed wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:37:06 -0000, "Cas Liber"
>> <casliber@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> >I don't know about anybody else but I have a problem visualising a cestus
>> >(i.e. spiked leather Roman glove-thing) parrying sword blows.
>> >Cas
>>
>> The knuckles are protected with layers or lead, it would bounce!
>>

>Are you sure?  Lead, though heavy, is rather soft and pliable.
>Im not sure I would want to wear armor made out of lead.  Weight
>aside, one good hit and the lead deforms - restricting your
>movement (at the minimum).
>
>I would think that bronze or some other hardened metal would be
>better.

The lead is layered and bound tightly, there would be some resistance.

But I was joking.

However I have heard of gloves with an inner layer of chain mail used to
catch swords

ed
--
edhogg@equus.demon.co.uk           |  Dragons Rescued  |      _////