Re: (TFT) introduction

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Patrick Keleher wrote:

> Nothing is more annoying than to be all hepped up for a
> good fight only to have your opponent roll 3 or 4 and
> cut your favorite character down in his/her prime, so...

And yet we all like killing an ST 30 dragon with a triple
damage shot with a heavy crossbow from across the room.

The only real way to stop this sort of thing in arena
combat is to force fighters to use some sort of courtesy
rule, a-la wizards.  True, its easier for a wizard to
kill someone in one blow from across the room, but the
principle remains the same.

If the character is adventuring and finds themselves
facing a crossbow user - learn to get the initiative or
learn to duck.

Seriously, relying on 'luck mechanisms' in an RPG seems
dishonest to me.  All of my favorite characters have had
at least one close shave - its part of the reason I like
them.

Dan Tulloh
daniel@jaws.greatwhite.com