Re: (TFT) Demons 'n' rings 'n' things

My disertation on demons.

I like to think of demons in general as belonging to the class of extraplanar beings (usually evil... seeing as how they run around in the various planes of hell), as opposed to belonging to a game system world, like Cidri.

>> there goes that buzzing in my head again. I wonder if they are trying to contact me to tell me the truth... let me light some candles and chant....

Unless, you are talking about a specific work of fiction like Elric/Stormbringer demons, C.Barker-esque, or C'thulian extra planar beings as being demons, or Japanese oni or even the faceless oriental demons that can be taken down by physical attacks.

Lets call the preestablished fictional or realworld mythos demons as type 'a', and the generic fictional type of ad&d as type 'b'. I can touch on both classes here.

>> I summon thee off planar wonders to help me classify all the others...

Im not sure why I'm separating the types, except that <<uh oh, there goes that buzzing in my head again.>> type 'a' has a rich fictional background to support the existance of such creatures. Also, possibly that it would take an enormous amount of energy to create yet another WHOLE mythos supporting your style of demons.

To answer your question simply, in my opinion Cidri follows the background of type 'b' demons. Their type is easy to follow, <<as TFT should be>> and its consistant with Cidri's judeo-christian background.

I personally dont run Cidri or any other premade world. (Though, Cidri is best suited for TFT. I really like it. If I had a regular group, Id run Cidri.) I've always found these worlds too cumbersome to follow. The same goes for forgotten realms, Middle earth, or Yrth. As good creative DM you really have to know what your players are into. If I were starting a new game on Cidri there would be a place for adventuring japanese feudal island some where on your Cidri. There would also be Melanda Style spirit summoning and rune science(see http://users.erols.com/strytelr/IronSwordsFrameTest.html for details). For the sake of generating fear, id put in classic demon archtype and mythos.

>>Im looking at this eye that has started growing between my fingers. Its looking at me. Its telling me what a fine job I'm doing, and that I should continue following it's instruction.

I really have to go now, Im at work, and the eye in my hand is starting to distract me.... I hope any of this made sense.

TTFN
Joel