Re: (TFT) Arduin and other conversions, Errant School of Thought, etc.

Dear Joel, Pat and Michael,

Thanks ... all your comments are very encouraging and will try my hand at it
... i do hope to put in my contributions soon ...

i particularly like the example of Mike on Kobolds - you're right, THEY are
pushovers in AD&D ... hmmm ... makes me think twice about converting Arduin
creatures ... they are NIGHTMARES for a starting or middle level character in
TFT ...

While we're at it ... is there a unified version of the world of Cidri that
the group has agreed upon ? i noticed in the past few posts that the various
Game Masters have (unconsciously or consciously) created multiple versions of
Cidri ... i know that this does not promote diversified thinking but at the
very least we can unify (some) concepts so as not to be very diverse in its
interpretations ...

since i only signed up last Dec. 99, i guess i must have missed out on a lot
of juicy TFT stuff already ... hmmm, was there any effort to actually combine
all the ideas into one document ?

if there is none, i'd like to volunteer (foot and ankle in mouth) to
consolidate all the materials (please send txt or doc formats only please)
you have made so far and i'll do the business of combining them all into a
unified format similar to ITL or AM or AW  ... of course with all the
appropriate identification (salutations, praises, etc.) of who wrote what ...
and then i'll just repost them back to the tft net, updating them as
necessary ... that way it's like creating a compendium of sorts ...

Example: (Hope you don't mind Pat)

The Deodanth
Origin: Arduin Grimoire Vol ???
Adapted to TFT By: Patrick Keleher (patkeleher@hotmail.com)

ST:12  DX:12  IQ:7                                  MA:12
plus 5 free points of which no more than 3 can be applied to IQ.

    Deodanths are +4 with throwing weapons -- only with their traditional
javelins and darts.  (Both do 1D-1 damage.)
     They have a natural leaping skill (ref: Alan Robles) at double the
distances for the skill learned by other species (ie: Horizontal
leaps are at (ST+DX)/5.  Vertical leaps are at (ST+DX)/6); if, in addition
to this natural skill, a deodanth LEARNS the leaping skill then distances
covered are multiplied by 1.5.
     Deodanths disdain armour.  They don't like to feel constrained.  The
bits of leather and chainmail they do on occasion wear are more decorative
than protective.  They will wear jewelry enhanced with protective spells.
     Deodanths are sadists.  Dave Hargrave describes them as an unholy meld
descended from the miscegenation of undead elves with panthers, however
Jack Vance (who created deodanths in his Dying Earth stories) stated
that they were descended from wolverines.
     Deodanth characters may start with a few free skills.  (Use a
combination of Justin Grabowski's prior experience tables with Rick Smith's
racial special characteristic tables.)
    For deodanths, first, using J. G.'s tables:
     Roll 2D
     2-8:   Slave table, but add two to the roll
     9-11:  Tradesman
     12:    Noble, but no warhorse (He had one once, but he ate it.) or
retainers.  (He had one once, but...)
    Then, on 1 in 6, roll again:
     1:  Wolverine jaws.  (Bite for 2D, both normal and HTH combat.)
     2:  Panther claws.  (Claw for 1+1, both normal and HTH combat.)
     3:  Acrobatics free when IQ requirement is met.
     4:  Fencing free when IQ requirement is met.
     5:  Berserk.
     6:  "Merciful".  A merciful deodanth won't kill opponents.  He just
brings them to the edge of death again... and again... and again... and
again...

i know it's a tall order but i'd be most willing to volunteer to burn the
midnight oil (me thinks a lot of it) for such an endeavor ... it just takes
time ...

Best regards,

Jaypus "the Barbarian Errant"
Jaypus@iname.com, pticham@aol.com, ICQ#65323142

"Its dark in here ... guys, light up the candle we found ..."
Famous last words of Jaypus in "Security Station(TM)"