(TFT) Re: Preliminary thoughts:Adapting Runequest

From: alan robles <alanrobles@usa.net>
> I don't know if any of you out there encountered this but my problem when I
> was gamemastering TFT was I couldn't entice AD&D players to join because they
> thought TFT characters were too weak in the sense that one good blow could
> kill you -- unlike D&D where characters swagger around with scads of
> hitpoints. One quick fix we tried was to multiply the ST by 5, but this caused
> problems in terms of magic use. At the very least it complicated accounting in
> what was supposed to be an elegant game system. Thoughts?

Well, your players seem to be power hungry players. They prefer the
unrealistic uber-character of a 10th level fighter, who can fight 10 1st levels
without problem to the realistic "a good sword thrust can kill". You could
always try asking them if they could take 8-10 sword chops and survive. But
let's see if we can make a better modification than your 5xST.

How about something kinda like Champions or Chivalry and Sorcery. Give
each character an amount of Stun points equal to their ST. Damage comes
off of Stun first, then ST, except on a automatic hit (3-5), where it goes
straight to ST. Let them recover Stun like Fatigue. And mages can only use
ST for spellcasting. I'd also add in a -1 DX when you have no more Stun left.
Of course, this will make enemies tougher to kill too. This isn't as
unbalancing as 5xST, and the quick recovery of Stun practically makes it
like 5xST.

---
Brett Slocum  --  slocum@skypoint.com  --  ICQ #13032903
Home page: http://www.skypoint.com/~slocum/
"Ah'm yer pa, Luke." -- if James Earl Ray was the voice of Darth Vader