From: "grabowski" <grabowski@erols.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) TFT City:  Cliportage
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 15:06:52 -0500

> Hmmmmmmm,
> I like this idea!
>
> Okay.....
>
> what about demographics?
>
> let's see currently there are:
>
> dwarves (40%)
>
> humans(40%)
>
> subhumans (do you mean neanderthals or misfits?)
>

> goblins (5%) - attracted, and with a nose for trade, a tribe (mob?) of
> goblins with some hobgoblin minders, has set up a Goblin Market in their
> small Goblin Quarter in one of the older more run-down districts,
> renovating it well. This has caused problems with some of the less honest
> dwarf and human merchants who felt they should be allowed to exploit
others
> in peace without some goblins undermining them. Everyone knows you can
deal
> (almost) fairly with a goblin - too bad if you get pickpocketed or mugged
> on the way there or back!

The only criticism I see with Cliportage is visual (I need to see a map).
The creation of a map would be a hum dinger.

Part of my problem is I have the Free City of Haven or Sanctuary in my mind.

My outline picture of a city:  Not as good as Rick's but this is an outline

A walled city-state on a major trading crossroads

Led by a marcher baron on the fringes of a dying empire

The barons power is based on trade, so there is a strong guild system

On some type of water source that leads to the ocean or on the ocean itself

Relatively close to mineral resources/mountains = dwarven community

On the edge of an immense wilderness = elves, orcs, centaurs, and other
creepy crawlies

A population of at least 2000 - 5000

City has a diverse population with many different areas/quarters.  Ex.
poor, trade, dock, rich, racial (goblin, halfling, elf, dwarf)

Near the site or built on the site of an ancient empire = dungeon adventure

Also when this is created only rules found in the rulebooks or the codex can
be used.

Yours in Cidri or whatever the town is called,
Justin