(TFT) Tolkien (1)....and Kobolds

Yeah, I always found Middle Earth per se somewhat spartan in its creatures,
though it and The Land (of Thomas Covenant) were the most well described
monster eco-systems in fantasy literature. I think the latter stands out by
far in originality from anything else I've ever read (Cavewights, Ur-Viles,
etc.). I guess I always felt a bit funny about MERP as you had 'original'
stuff from the books mixed with stuff that someone created - it didn't rub
well with me. I had a Similar feeling when other writers tried adding to
Lovecraft's Dreamland and didn't quite sound as elegant or poetic.
Having said all this it reminds me of the following conversations when i
was at uni.

Q: Do you like Led Zeppelin/The Police/ Duran Duran/ U2 / Midnight Oil/
INXS etc.
A: Oh..hmm, nothing thy've done is as good as their FIRST album

(etc.)

PS: Here's a question while I think about it, how does everyone see
Kobolds? As reptilian or mammalian. In the original monster manual they
were scaly but then this is the book that brought us pig-headed orcs.
I'm thinking of expanding them and wanted a concensus...
Cas