Re: Re: (TFT) Demon Generation

david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com wrote:
>  First a point of contention.  The demons' MA cost points, but
> ITL lists it as infinite.  I am not suggesting that
> Stormbringer/AD&D demons should teleport like TFT ones.  I just
> find it suprising that it would cost infinite points to make the
> default TFT demon.  To simulate this within the demon generation
> system I am tempted to add in special characteristic numbers
> sixteen through twenty two.

  As far as the movement costs go, it could be worked the way you
suggest.  However, I do have teleport as an ability granted by a
demon's category, at least in the revised version of these rules,
which can be found at - http://home.netcom.com/~srydzews/demon.txt
I think you'll find those to be an improvement over the original
version.  Now as to why a demon that can teleport would want to
have a "normal" MA at all, well it obviously isn't as important,
but if you want to get that charge attack bonus you'll need one,
and sometimes it's just more impressive to stride into your
throneroom, throwing the 12' tall brass doors open with a resounding
"boom", instead of just teleporting in.

In regard to your request for the formulas used, the only formula
applying to movement costs is that the number of "demon generation
points" spent to acquire a given MA equals (1/4 MA)^2.  Really,
the only formula in the whole system that isn't shown is the one
used to the calculate the cost of an attack, which is

           summation((dice of damage * 3) + points of damage)

I just pre-calculated that for all reasonable values and presented
the results in a table.

> The second coment I have on the demon generation system is the
> "discretionary" points in building the demon based on the summoners
> IQ.  If I understand the implications to play; a wizard that summons
> a named demon may specify a characteristic through the way he spends
> the discretionary points, and the more powerfull the demon the more
> flexibility the sumoner has in the demons actual manifestation.

Yep, that's exactly the idea.  It's similar to certain notions in
the Stormbringer/Elric demon rules.

>   And the last point.  The presentation (reprinted below) while
> different from my take on demons, the creation of monsters, and
> rules for such; it is exactly the way I would have done it.  The
> attribute to cost conversion formulas are very very similar to
> the ones I use.
>   My hat is off, and a well done to you sir.
>          David Michael Grouchy II

Well thank you very much!  Unfortunately, I have yet to develop
the whole concept of "portfolios" for the highest grade of demons,
which is intended to be areas of competence similar to those of
the demons in SPI's Dragonquest game, and in line with certain
historical "grimoires".  I need to get back to this...