Re: (TFT) Guild membership

WarPlayer  said?.

  Hey there.
   What do you think might happen to a person who hired a non-guild
wizard?
   Do you suppose mysterious misadventures might befall his
business, home, family, and even himself?
   Try getting a job as a contractor if you are not a member of the
union, um, guild even today in some towns.  What happens?  No one
will hire you openly, for fear of retaliation by the union / guild.
Plus, the union / guild holds its members to certian standards of
pay, treatment, and quality.
   Now apply this to an adventurer-wizard.  He has the experience
and Memory to learn that spell he has wanted for two years.  But
99% of the wizards in the area are union members.  Where will he
learn it?  And since he can't get work as a wizard, to make money,
he has to do manual labor, like cleaning stalls.  (There is no
stall-cleaners guild.)
   Just apply union politics to the campaign, and every wizard will
eventually join the union, if only to try and change his "bad luck".
   Just my $.02 worth.

Smashing! Simply smashing. For perspective I have WarPlayer in his Own words from 1998. It makes me wonder if unionization forces the exportation of manufacturing.

August 18th 1998
What system did you go onto after TFT and why? -Bradd Thurkettle<
   RuneQuest.  I like the combat system.  The magic system is, IMO,
too convoluted, but then I usually like to run campaigns where real
magic and real wizards are scarce.  The magic in my campaigns tends
to be potions and powders, it is amazing what a sniff of the
"magical" white powder can do for a fighter going into combat.
Likewise, certain herbs can reduce pain and speed healing.  Magic
or herbal-alchemy, it depends on how it is presented.  In civilized
lands, the injured character seeks out a doctor (or barber).  In
the more exciting jungle, the witch-doctor does the healing.
    You get the idea.

    Such Insight from an AOL subscriber <wry sarcastic grin>.
    David Michael Grouchy II