Re: (TFT) Translation

From: "David Michael Grouchy II" <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com>
Subject: (TFT) Translation
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 14:05:38 CDT

	Back in the early eighties I told my players that soon I would have
campaign into which they could bring any character from any game.
Some four years later I realized I had bitten off more than I could chew. The situation was finally solved by changing the wording of the promise to "I have made a campaign into which one may play any game system wished."

That's similar to the gameworld I pulled together because I had all these neat game systems with their own lands and all these neat game scenarios with detailed stories. 10+ different rules. Any time I would run a game, I would find a place for it on my continent in CIDRI. This not only gives you a history and concept for your land, but if players cross from one area to your campaign setting, you might be able to re-use your old scenario setting (updated of course). I convert them to TFT if I am actually going to run a scenario.

I have a character that jumps gaming systems. Only the TFT character is legitamite, though.

This was accomplished by using a simple system of determining average hit points for beginning characters in each game system, comparing it to the average weapon damages, and determining the damage ratios between them. This resulted in the chart listed below. The average damage of a long sword may be compared to the average damage of a broad sword in another game. This gives one type of ratio. ...>

I've done the same thing for economics. TFT only has a few things listed for sale. Other gaming systems have much for sale. I have converted costs for lots of things. But monetary systems and inflation are different. I thought of the most common weapon and armor in gaming and used these as the basis for comparison: Shortsword and Chainmail. It sometimes helped.

I might be able to post my COST CHART, if I can figure out a way to dump it in here from Word program. (lots of columns that would be irritating to enter by hand into e-mail.)

Hail Melee
John Paul