Re: (TFT) Apprentices Guilds & CIDRI

From: "Dominic Desrosiers" <dominic_desrosiers@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Apprentices
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:02:30 EDT

All depends on the setting,

You could have a medieval setting that is low magic where the idea of technology and progress is even more foreign. The seasons change, the crops get planted, they grow, they get harvested, nothing changes. Or you could have a world where the magic and technology work hand in hand. Large cities spring up because magic has enabled greater
food yields which allow for a larger population dedicated to other
things besides food production, Like craftsperson, academics, things that lead to technological innovation. And that innovation is accelerated and complimented by magic.

Some samples of this genre would be Technomancer, Space 1899.

You could justify any setting. To me that is the beauty of TFT, simple and concise, yet still complete enough to have realistic,
tactical minded, combat resolution.

Dominic

And all of this could occur on the world of CIDRI! Again, as big as it is, it could house a continent like the Technomances and a truly medieval historical setting on another continent and they not cause a problem for eachother. Why didn't the MAGEocracy take over the world? May because the demons from the islands halfway across the world are having to much fun playing assassin tag with the MAGEocracy's officers. That Martian invasion of the entire world that is going on in your GameWorld continent which you blew and your cities are now cinders? Damn, seems they can't get past the powerful God B'rCrats domain until they fill out the proper forms and they happen to be illegal aliens...too bad.

So after this diatribe on CIDRI, let me pick up the guild again.

One doesn't have to "have" the guilds, as one doesn't have to allow gun powder weapons. In fact, if we wrote up what a Wizard Guild would be like in several different worlds, we would have probably gone farther towards understanding than just arguing about it. (Although I do like arguing about it.)

Hail Melee

John Paul