Re: (TFT) Steve Jackson's Thoughts

From: "Bulgan Tanner" <outlander44@hotmail.com>
Subject: (TFT) Steve Jackson's Thoughts
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 14:47:39 GMT

I was wondering . . . assume Steve Jackson had purchased the game from HT. What changes do you think he would have made in a new edition? Do you think it would look something like GURPS? Or would he have made minor tweaks to the system . . .

I would say that he would have only done minor tweeks. But he would have had a lot of new talents, spells, etc. The magazine articles by players in Interplay and Space Gamer seemed to have been included in Advanced Melee, Advanced Wizards & In The Labyrinth. I have a feeling the mags would have been a tool for Steve for future TFT expansion.

Also, GURPS is not TFT because Steve HAD to change it legally. He also had the opportunity to rethink TFT. Man-to-Man was his rethink of Melee. He owned Space Gamer magazine at the time and probably used that to get more player ideas for GURPS. Since GURPS was a 'new' game, there was no worry about a base of players having to convert to a new version of the game.

TFT had a base of players already who were playing by the rules. Had Steve kept it, I doubt if he would have altered the CORE RULES at all. Piss off players who already had campaigns going? Probably add some optional rules to change things he didn't like.

If anyone was going to get sued for violating TFT copyright, it would have been GURPS. My how similar the concepts, how similar the charts, how similar that stats.

Hail Melee

John Paul