Re: (TFT) Rules, Publishing and the World WIde Web...

From: Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Rules, Publishing and the World WIde Web...
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:48:20 -0400 (EDT)

John Paul Bakshoian wrote:
> Therefore if we publish, lets say a Full Talent Chart, any
reference to a HT copyright item could just list the name and
>page of the item with no description. That would mean that >the book would still have to be used to
> get the data and that should perhaps please the courts.
>
> Sample:
>   IQ 10
>     BLOCK/COUNTERSTRIKE (2). This allows a 12+Dex character to
>        fully block and counterstrike the same opponent at -4Dex.
>     FENCING (3). ITL Page 13
>     REMOVE TRAPS (1). ITL Page 13
>     SCAVENGING (2).  Allows character an IQ roll to see if he can
>        pick up useful items in the local.
>     COMPUTING (2).  SG #24 Page 29  "More Talents" by Jo Blo.

I do like this approach, though it's not an "all in one" table type
of thing.

True, but if this would be acceptable (legally and moraly) to put on the website, then one could download this into their computer. Everyone would be working from the same Core and Expanded rules. All the information is provided to find the references.

Then the person with the downloaded program can fill in the data on FENCING from ITL page 13. He is taking notes. He would not be violating copyright because he is using this for his own personal needs. It may take a lot of effort to type the data into your computer, but the time some of us spend reading and typing in responses to this website takes just as long. Sure some of the subscribers may not have the materials. The Mnoren Librarium would help in that matter.

This is not a solution for getting HT to sell his copyright or a solution for what goes into this Talent list, but it could be a solution for getting 'everything' into a list.

I bet some-one even has this Talent List already. If not, I'm sure Michael or Cas would make one up. This list would be a growing list as people find magazine articles that should be included.

What do you think of this possiblity?

Hail Melee

John Paul