Re: (TFT) A little moralistic digression...

In a message dated 6/15/00 3:08:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hailmelee@hotmail.com writes:

<< Why you subscribe or why you lurk or why you want to participate? >>

JPB:

Actually, this is an example of why I subscribe AND lurk BUT rarely
participate.  I'm afraid I just haven't the stamina to personally duke it out
in the endless debates.  For all that tho' I have to say I've seen some
incredibly good rules ideas posted on this list (which is why I CONTINUE to
subscribe and lurk).  It's just that I hate to see the  good ideas all locked
up.  To say that this whole idea of creativity versus theft in the fantasy
gaming genre is a complex, multi-dimensional issue is easily the
understatement of the year.  I could blab on for about 10 or so pages on that
topic alone but to save anyone actually reading this all the associated eye
strain I'll just confine it to a few comments.  What the hell is true
originality?  Is it possible (or even desirable) in this genre at this
point?.  I can't recall one idea I've seen printed in any FRPG (and I have
the obligatory closet full) that I haven't seen printed in some form
somewhere else.  I personally think RQ (a more neutral example, hopefully) is
an excellent and very imaginative concept.  The background material is really
first class, magic is very well thought out and the combat system is, at
least, more sensible than D&D.  But is this game original?  Maybe the
question should be, 'could RQ have possibly been written before D&D?'   I
think the answer is no.  It's not like that's a conclusion I'm really
delighted with but look at RQ's systems and D&D's and tell me RQ didn't
'borrow' quite a bit.  What constitutes a rip-off is really in the eye of the
beholder.  As far as I know TSR never sued Chaosium but what if , instead, RQ
first came out in the mid-late 80s when TSR was at the height of its reign of
terror?  Think Chaosium would have stood a chance then?  Should the final
arbiter of elusive originality really be the size of your enemy's war chest?

Jody