Re: Purchasing the (TFT) copyright/ Rules, for use, publishing and the World Wide Web...

From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>
> Steve Jackson has always used this excuse for not allowing any fan-based
> GURPS software or web-postings.

SJ has never restricted web pages, as long as they don't violate copyright by
copying tables or text from the GURPS books. I have an extensive GURPS
site that I've never asked permission to publish. And he certainly knows it
exists.

Software is a different issue, since it is essentially impossible to write a
program without using the data tables from GURPS. SJ has a very liberal
policy for software licensing. If you don't sell the software, you can get a free
license (after SJGames employees review the program). If you sell it as
shareware, then you pay a small royalty per copy to SJGames.

> Since he seems to have relaxed on this issue I can only assume that it's
> not strictly true - maybe it's up to the discretion of the copyright
> holder, but still does not endanger them from losing their copyright.

The policy hasn't changed in many years. What has changed is that
SJGames has put more resources into reviewing software and approving
licenses.

> Or maybe it's simply that while it is technically true, the non-copyright
> holder would have to prove in court that the current copyright holder did
> not 'want' the copyright that badly if they didn't defend it. Something
> legally possible, but which probably wouldn't pass a jury's 'squint' test.

You never need to defend a copyright. Trademarks, yes. Copyrights no.

---
Brett Slocum  --  slocum@skypoint.com  --  ICQ #13032903
Home page: http://www.skypoint.com/~slocum/
"Ah'm yer pa, Luke." -- if James Earl Ray was the voice of Darth Vader