(TFT) Re: Forgetting

tft@brainiac.com wrote:
>Now, TFT has a method of forgetting talents.  Aside from
>making an appointment with the local dragon or Wizard's
>Guild, how many people actually make use of forgetting?
>I'd be willing to wager that the number is relatively small.

  Maybe I'm missing the point of these rules, but they never
made much sense to me.  What they say, essentially, is that
it's easier to learn something if you have an "open slot"
of IQ that you haven't allocated to anything.  If you've
allocated all of your IQ you have to take special measures
to "forget" one of your old talents in order to learn a
new one.
  Really, though, the forgetting process that goes on as
people learn new skills occurs naturally and gradually.
While I agree that a character with no available "slots" has
to lose old talents/spells to acquire new ones, I don't see
why learning something new should be any harder for such a
person.
  It seems as much of an argument could be made for the
reverse: that someone who has a diverse set of knowledge, has
the so-called "habit of learning" and is accustomed to picking
up new things on a regular basis should actually be able to
pick up new things more easily (losing old talents in the
process of course).