Re: (TFT) Re: Forgetting

>tft@brainiac.com wrote:
>>Now, TFT has a method of forgetting talents.  Aside from
>>making an appointment with the local dragon or Wizard's
>>Guild, how many people actually make use of forgetting?
>>I'd be willing to wager that the number is relatively small.
>
>  Maybe I'm missing the point of these rules, but they never
>made much sense to me.  What they say, essentially, is that
>it's easier to learn something if you have an "open slot"
>of IQ that you haven't allocated to anything.  If you've
>allocated all of your IQ you have to take special measures
>to "forget" one of your old talents in order to learn a
>new one.

Well, the system is an abstraction.  Every talent requires
a certain amount of time to keep it fresh in the mind.
With a higher IQ, the talents need to be refreshed less
often (at least, that was how I always viewed it).

>  Really, though, the forgetting process that goes on as
>people learn new skills occurs naturally and gradually.

Agreed, but how do you make this playable without creating
a lot of bookkeeping for the player?

>  It seems as much of an argument could be made for the
>reverse: that someone who has a diverse set of knowledge, has
>the so-called "habit of learning" and is accustomed to picking
>up new things on a regular basis should actually be able to
>pick up new things more easily (losing old talents in the
>process of course).

Hmmm ... There might be a problem here between 'book learning'
and practical experience.  Take carpentry, for example.  Some
can read about and become familiar with the ideas of a truss
and the various types of joints but may be at a complete loss
when it comes to actually DOING it.

I guess there are three 'roads' to a talent: natural affinity,
book learning and practical experience.

Dan