Re: (TFT) Number Crunching: Example

From: dwtulloh@zianet.com
Subject: (TFT) Number Crunching:  Example
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:52:28 GMT

Lets say that Sam chooses the DEFEND option which forces
Joe to roll 4 dice to hit Sam.  According to AM (pg 18),

    "... on 4 dice instead of 3.  4 and 5 are still
    automatic hits; 20 and above are automatic misses;
    21 and 22 are dropped weapons and 23 and 24 are
    broken weapons."

A couple of points to note here.  First, getting triple
damage is IMPOSSIBLE.  Second, there is no mention made
of double damage for a roll of 4 (but lets assume that
is still valid.)  Third, the chances of getting an
automatic hit drop drastically while the chance for an
automatic miss remain about the same as for a 3 die roll.
(Note that the distributions of rolls discussed on page
38 of ITL are referring to saving rolls ONLY).
snip<
Under the system I propose, Joe would still roll 4 dice
to hit but he would only use the 3 highest dies.  snip<
Basically, thats the approach.  Imagine what would
happen if Sam were a master of Unarmed Combat and
was defending.  Joe would have to roll SEVEN dice to
hit him!

We can argue about whether there's an increased chance
of weapon breakage (I don't feel there would be) but
I think this system applies very well to saving rolls.
If I attempt a very difficult task, there should be
an increased risk of failure.  If I am an expert in the
field of the task, I can mitigate this chance due to
my superior knowledge/skill.

Dan

First, thanks for explaining by example.

Sam defends, Joe rolls 4D6. Too bad the original rules didn't compensate for critical successes.

However, I'm not quite sure that I understand why using only 3 of the 4 dice works.

What if I say, "OK, you defend. In my left hand are the three dice I will accept as my hit and I won't bother throwing the one in my right hand because it won't count. This becomes the same as Joe not having defended at all. This sound like a valid thing for the player can do via this arrangement.

UNLESS you are saying that Joe rolls the 4 dice and that SAM decides which three to use to hit him. Then that would bring defend back into the defenders benefit.

Also, say an IQ roll is needed by Farsighted Ned to see the pit trap and he gets his roll at 6D6. Does this mean that the GM rolls 6 dice, chooses three of those dice and that is the result (taking into consideration crits and misses?)

This system might work, but I would rather have a matrix for 2D6 to 10D6 which includes Critical Success (CS), Critical Failures (CF) added. There is one in the GM shield but its not very good.

3D6 CSx3=3; CSx2=4; Autohit=5; Autofail=16; CFx2=17; CFx3=18.
4D6 CSx3=4; CSx2=5,6; Autohit=7; Autofail=17; CFx2=18,19; CFx3=20
etc.  It can be worked out for the proper ratios.

In fact the game can use both patterns (Matrix and Multidice by 3).

Now what about a talent that lets a character defend better? Say, add another Die to make it 5D6. Or what about a talent that lets him immediately counter an attack that he defended: Sam defends, Joe misses or hits, Sam immediately uses his counterattack skill at -4DX.

Hail Melee

John Paul