(TFT) Re: EPT for TFT?

From: "grabowski" <grabowski@erols.com>
>> Groovy, PS where did MAR Barker get his inspiration for names, out of a
>> scrabble set.>>>>>
>
> I believe Professor Barker is or was a professor of linguistics at the
> University of Minnesota.  His friends call him Phil.  The creation of his
> world of the Petal Throne goes way back to his childhood in the 40s and 50s.
> If you got on the web there are a lot of sites dealing with EPT.  Check them
> out they can give you more info.

Everything Justin said is true. I just wanted to add on. Phil has created many
of the languages of Tekumel, including grammars, written forms, and ancient
dialects. Tsolyani, the language of the main empire as far as PCs are
concerned, is fully realized and grammar and vocabulary described in The
Tsolyani Language, an out-of-print small press publication. There is also a
set of language lessons. Most of the others are less complete. There are 34
forms of the pronoun 'You' in Tsolyani, including the 'You of Polite Anonymity'
(used with respectable-looking people of unknown status), the 'You of
Ultimate Inferiority' (used with slaves), the 'You of Supernal Omnipotence'
(only used with the Emperor or Empress), the 'you of Pleasurable Delight'
(used with a courtesan or concubine the speaker is having a relationship
with), etc. Great fun...

BTW, if someone wants a decent couple of novels about Tekumel, look for
The Man of Gold and Flamesong in your sci-fi used book store. Both by
M.A.R. Barker.

---
Brett Slocum  --  slocum@skypoint.com  --  ICQ #13032903
Home page: http://www.skypoint.com/~slocum/
"Ah'm yer pa, Luke." -- if James Earl Ray was the voice of Darth Vader