Re: (TFT) Hundred strength elemental

From: "Cas Liber" <casliber@ozemail.com.au>
<snip>
> Now, actually reading and comparing costs - I look at the table and
> you know what? The ST batteries, especially at 10ST and up, start looking
> pretty good value compared with charms etc. - for $30 000 you can make a 30
> point ST battery and summon your own damn (greater) demon any time you like,
> rather than frig around making a bound lesser demon for $20 000
>
> Ah well, how high are punters in your game when they get a spare $30
> 000?...........
> Cas

Group magic is one reason that I think TFT rocks! No other magic system
that I'm aware of really has it and some game settings (Tekumel, etc.)
require it. I always like mages who think out of the box anyway! They
are supposed to be smart.

What to do with all that lovely money, hmmm....

> From: srydzews@ix.netcom.com
> Say you have a wizard and 12 apprentices (total apprentice
> salary: $600/week)  The wizard stands in the center of a circle
> of six apprentices.  The other six stand around the edge of the
> inner circle.

Great thinking once again, thanks for this post.

> From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>
> This has always confused me as well. David G. has written an excellent
> paper or solo campaigning that seems to mention a 25 fST per day limit.

Was this posted to the list or where can I find it? It's too early in
the morning for my mind to be fully functional... A good recommendation
as a limit for solos.

> This sounds write from certaining writings in AW as well.

???? Is there any limit stated?

This is a good argument for magic live/dead areas ala Larry Niven and
the like. We are going to cast some gross spell. Oh damn! Run
aaaawaaayyy....

> From: Thorn <edt@dopey.ne.mediaone.net>

> I think it's the 'official union' amount of ST you may have from an
> apprentice.

Aahh! The 8 hour day.

> From: casliber@ozemail.com.au
> So DMG, you're so devious and yet in your campaign I could rustle up 30 trustworthy apprentices just like that? hee hee

Too bad you can't summon them ;)

> From: "David Michael Grouchy II"
>
> I don't find many GMs sophisticated enough to use
> loyalty or morale checks.  I guess I have noticed
> as a trend that most GMs don't give players much
> access to the power structures of the game world.
> They tend to try and keep the party isolated.

I've run Bushido games were the players were members of a clan and in
some cases the heir apparent. A typical bandit/monster hunting
expedition.
Landlord - "Futami-dono, a most humble welcome"
Lord Futami, the heir - "We are here on official business, please
prepare rooms for our stay."
Landlord - "Yes sire!"
No money required for this stay! Usually the players didn't have to
handle money on a regular basis in their home province. Players also
make great diplomats. Example:
"Now what do you pig fuckers want!" - speaking to another clans high
official!

> Funny that they don't like separating the
> adventurers from each other.

They do that on their own, just like a bad horror film ;)

>      I have also noticed that GMs prefer to have
> everyone in the same room.  That way everyone at
> the table CAN hear what everyone else says.  If
> they separated the party members, it becomes much
> easier to have one Ogre kill them all.

That is the one tough part about this. There is no easy answer and it
bogs the game down quite a bit.

> From: "David Michael Grouchy II" >
An opportunitiy to share a bit of the best magic system ever written.
> You mentioned the 25 fatigue strength limit.  Ahhhh yes.  From Advanced
> Wizard, page 30 we have this.

Thanks!
> From: Thorn <edt@dopey.ne.mediaone.net>

> Besides, doesn't your guild have someone Trance out Success/Failure as > most probable during the run-up to the enchantment?

Good suggestion.

> From: srydzews@ix.netcom.com
>
> The "traitor" apprentice idea is great!  And even if every
> apprentice was checked out with Detect Enemies when he was
> signed up, one could always be replaced by an infiltrator
> with a Glamour spell on him...
<snip>

Hehhehhehhhe....

This is a great thread, thank you all for posting!

Jim Eckman