(TFT)

>     If only there was some way to enchant the entire
>lab with a megahex of stone flesh, or some such, to
>harden it against explosions.  Unfortunately the way
>I read the rules, each item in the lab would have to
>be enchanted to resist damage.  This would become
>astronomically expesive, very quick.
>     In conclusion; Run more than one lab a time
>so that production of potions may continue even
>though one lab has blown out.
>
>     David Michael Grouchy II

	Oh, how this subject reminds me of  a very fun & interesting time in my
Cendri Campaign, where a group of five players got together to create such a
"mega-lab" (and looking to make the huge profits). They were doing fine
until one of their explosions got them into a *huge* bit trouble with the
City authorities... (The explosion had a trigger affect, setting off
multiple explosions in their other labs, which set fire to adjacent wizard's
tower, and then things got really bad ... old London fire style.) The party
was informed their enterprises would not be appreciated in the town anymore,
and their reputation soon followed them to other cities where they tried
setup shop. So undaunted, the players then rounded up what profits they had
and went on in search for a better site for their "mega-lab". This lead to
many excellent side adventures where they thought they had located a better
area to build their next facility, and began preparationgs to setup before
having to move on for one reason or another (too few supplies, too many
monters in the area, too many lab break ins and stolen supplies, etc, etc).
Finally, they came upon some information (for some of their profits) that
led them to finding an island upon which was located a specially hardened
castle where gunpowder used to be experiemented with (This was another
previous parties engagement like this, which is another story...) and was
eventually abandoned. The party thought this was perfect! And for a short
while, maintained a fairly lucrative sea trading system until they decided
to go a step further, and rigged up a gateway from the castle to a major
town in which they supplied. Based upon their success there, they worked on
expanding their trading empire by creating more gateways to other towns in
other countries(which lead to many more fun & exciting adventures by sending
these parties to these far away countries to first establish the trade
agreements and then the gateways).

	Unfortunately, some of the parties intrigues eventually lead to their
downfall. As a few fairly powerful countries that were purposely left out of
thier trading system & agreements for one reason or another, wanted in on
the "action". And eventually, as diplomacy failed bit by bit,  a war
developed.  And as you can guess, this lead to many other adventures. But
alas, the party, in this trying time - started to break apart. Some members
siding with various countries(and the associated agreements), and this
eventually lead to some PKing among the group. And thus, the eventual
collapse of their trading system!  Now, the island and it's associated
treasures and gateways are the stuff of myth & legends. (*Hopefully*,
someday another party will come along to discover the island and revive it
again! Wishful thinking? Well, Stranger things have happened... like the
party that was hired by a naturalist who wanted to capture the last
surviving members of the Otec race, so that he could perhaps, help
repopulate them. But that's another story!)

	And as you can see, it's a very good reason *not* to discourge this kind of
inventiveness among the players! It's all in how you play it out as a GM!

	Yours from Cendri,
	- Tim Sireno