Re: (TFT) Command at Sea for sale

dwtulloh@zianet.com wrote:
>   Can you briefly describe the game for me?  And if you
>   have any opinions on playability, etc ...

But of course!  From the box (with the typical Metagaming grammar
errors fixed)...

Command At Sea is a scale simulation of naval battles.  Units are
single ships.  Each ship is defined by its guns, compartments and
combat factors.  You play by acting as commander of a ship or task
group with a mission.  You plat the moves, you fire the guns, you
assess the damage.  And it is all to actual 1/4800 scale.

Command At Sea is not a board game; it is played on the floor.  It
is as close to real fighting ships as you can get and not be blasted.
The scenarios provided are for 3 battles of Savo Island near
Guadalcanal in WWII.  If you love the big ships or haven't experienced
naval miniatures play you won't want to miss Command At Sea.

Level: Very advanced play for 2 or more aged 18 and up
Playability: Complex learning, rapid play system.  3-8 hours playtime
Components: 24 ship counters, rules, 20 ship data charts, 20 ship
  command plots, 4 turn gauges and damage tables.

My opinion of the game is colored by the fact that I haven't been able
to play the game, but I have read through the rules.  That said, the game
reminds me a *lot* of two games; Star Fleet Battles for the damage
mechanism and Lou Zocchi's Star Fleet Battle Manual for the movement and
firing mechanisms.  I think this game would be a lot of fun to play!  It's
definitely not a tabletop game, though; the more floorspace you've got for
this, the better.

A quick look at the Maverick's Space and Fantasy Gamer's Guide (where it's
fortunately listed though it's neither type of game) shows that designer
notes and errata for the game are in Interplay #4; I'll include a copy of
each article with the game.