(TFT)

>Despite the increased cost, many more people were
>PCs than NPCs and more than once I saw some poor NPC
>surrounded by people bludgeoning them over and over.
>There was no way the NPC player could keep track of
>all that math, and they would just kind of give up
>and lay down.

	Yep, I've noticed that Die-hard D&D'ers seem to also insist upon this
"doing all the Math" bit in other areas too, and it frustrates me quite
often! Especially when I try to introduce them to something with a simple
game system that avoids such bogging down in multiple mental  calculations.
(Airing a comment - "Well It's a game, not trig 101.", almost invaribly
would p. o. that said D&D'er.)

	I've not yet come up with a way to circumvent this insistance concerning
number crunching - In fact, GURPS actually made my problem worse, because
the D&D'ers I was working on - either naturally gravitated towards GURPS
(where there was alot more number crunching) over TFT,
or GURPS so turned them OFF that they REFUSED to even discuss TFT!

>A friend who lives in Florida and was a member of
>the SCA for many years told me that "the SCA is
>just a support group for the emotionally disturbed".

	I still haven't joined the local SCA and for the longest time even though
many friends have been pitching it for years. And when asked why, I couldn't
put my finger on the main reason why I didn't feel like it was a good idea,
and your friends comment points it out perfectly... There *are* quite a few
people who are "a little emotionally disturbed" in the SCA. (Not to mention
snooty/snobbish in my experience.)
Thanks, Now I feel a bit better - I thought it was just me!

>I realized that if F.L.A.G. had been formed with TFT
>players and not old school AD&D / SCA types, it
>might have stood a chance, but hit points was the
>core of their game system and it was what they were
>out there to reality test.
>
>     David Michael Grouchy II

	No wonder why I got some strange looks from those SCA people when I
mentioned I was past president (for two years) of F. L. A. G. (Forest Lake
Area Gamers of Mn)! They must've thought I was refering to the Federation of
Live Action Gaming (F.L.A.G.) and thought I was a loon... Sheesh!

	Perhaps the recent "paradigm shift" in the 3rd edition of D&D will help us
with our conversion attempts for new TFT players. Though, I think the
Diehards might be a lost cause - unless anyone has any fantastic pointers on
how to convert these people over to TFT.
(Give 'em if you have them!!!)

	- Tim Sireno
	  AKA White Wolf