(TFT) D&D/TFT

I must say tony and michael that was some exchange. I can't wait to have a
proper look at D&D 3e.
Also, Michael's point about powerful characters rings true. Outnumbering in
TFT rapidly becomes a big problem, so that powerful characters can be
overwhelmed by peons if there are enough of them.
I remember in D&D DMing a party from 1st level way up to 11th or so and
DMing the Giant series (G1-3) with them. Past early levels, the PCs were
quite long lived, anyway they got into Hall Of the Fire Giant King and the
party managed to combat about 75% of the Hall's troups at the entrance -
giants would keep getting reinforcements and adding themselves to a
bloodthirsty battle. The party did lose 17 assorted characters and NPCs but
m managed to kill alot of giants, and they around 10th level or so (so not
way tougher than the module required).
I couldn't see how this could happen in TFT - te numbers of enemies would
wear down even powerful characters more quickly. The main factors apear to
be the escalating hp totals in AD&D and lack of area of effect spells, like
a MMH fireball, in TFT (say, now there's an idea............)

I can't think of which is more realistic, but then again, magic ain't real
anyway.

The controversy for me is similar to this. In cards, say, some games have
aces high, some aces low - sometimes you get a hand in a particular game and
chuckle to yourself what the hand would be worth in another game/place
whatever. Similar to the differences in RPGs, they are just different
systems and sometimes the difference can be refreshing. Years ago we'd swap
from AD&D to TFT quite regularly. Everyone enojyed aspects of both  -it was
like two different games, like Bridge and Canasta, say.