Re: (TFT) the challenge of computers, and idea

I think this is a very valid point. I think one of the underestimated
qualities of table-top RPGs is the 'peer pressure' that exists within a
group. The 'social contract' of a group of players telling stories to each
other is very difficult to simulate in a setting.

Good RPG Players try entertain each other when they are in the same room.
Like theatre actors they feed off of the positive or negavite response of
the audience.

Since this feedback doesn't really exist in a computerized setting the
players are reallly just there to entertain themselves and therefore
the'yre baser instincts are rewarded without the accompanying negative
enforcement that would occur if you tried to play hack-and-slash in person.

So I dont think the barrier is really technological. The rewards of
role-playing are alot of the satisfaction of seeing the other players
smile. As a programmer myself I dont really think you can write that into
software...

Michael