Re: Re: (TFT) PK'ing [OT]

michael taylor wrote:
>This is pretty interesting. Both of these sound like
>they might work - as long as everyone is publically
>aware of it.

Well, to be clear about this, we're not entirely talking
theory here.  Diablo 2 actually does use a system very
similar to the two we mentioned.  You can change your
hostile status during a game, but have to be in town to
do so.  Each game everyone starts out "netural" toward
everyone else, you have to take action to change this.

> But tell me - doesn't it amount to publically broadcasting
> your Alignment to the other players?

Yes, largely it does.  The idea, I gather, was to prevent
people from pretending to be your friend and then attacking
you without warning when they got close.  To be realistic
such treachery should be possible of course.  But it's a
real pain in the ass, and the game is supposed to be fun. :)
So they instituted a system whereby you have to formally
"declare war" on someone before attacking.  Oh, also no
one can declare  hostility toward a low level character.
It's just plain mean to kill off someone's starting character.

Finally, note that you declare hostility toward particular
individuals or groups, not everyone else in the game.  Thus
you could be hostile toward some people and not others.
It's fairly sophisticated how it works.