(TFT) Half breeds

Half Breeds
Deconstructing a few intelligent monsters.

According to the half-breed rules one takes the starting attributes of the two races and averages them. This one little rule has cause problems and shed insight. I will briefly illustrate some of the problems. The average of a Giant and a Man is ST 16.5, DX 8.5, IQ 7.5, 4 extra points, and Two Hexes. What to do with the fractions? Personally I add them up and add them to any extra points available. So it becomes ST 16, DX 8, IQ 7, 6 extra points, and Two Hexes. The 2-Hexes, on the other hand, is a real problem. It?s not that I can?t make a 2-Hex counter, or figure out the facing a rear hexes. It that TFT, Advanced Melee, and even melee, don?t have any 2-hex figures that aren?t horses. Horses have four side hexes. My 2-hex ?half giant? has six front hexes. This is what I consider a major deviation from the printed rules. I use a 2-hex counter with six front hexes because ?it seems right?. This is ok as far as it goes, but the stuff that follows has been questioned because some of it doesn?t ?seem right? even though the math is correct.

Here is the cross between a light horse and mankind. This would be a centaur, or half man, half horse. Many of the horses will work, but the light horse comes the closest.

    Half Man Half Horse
    ST 14, DX 10, IQ 6, MA 20 and 4 extra points

If two of the extra points are put into IQ it is amazingly closer to the TFT centaur of

    Centaur (page 51 ITL)
    ST 14, DX 10, IQ 8, MA 24 and 2 extra points
    Giant Eagle
    ST 28-40, DX 13, IQ 7, MA 16 on the ground 40 in the air,
         feathers stop 1 hit per attack

Extracted from Gryphon and Lion. The Gryphon is listed as part eagle, and part lion. By taking the stats of a Lion, we can determine what the lion was averaged with to get a Gryphon (page 61 ITL). It would be a giant Eagle like that listed above. This is kind of like a smaller faster Roc.

    Roc
    ST 30-50, DX 12, IQ 5, MA 8 on the ground 30 flying
?Near Baal's temple was that of Dagon, given in the tablets as Baal's father.?
    http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/1/0,5716,11711+1,00.html

    A baal is a halfbreed with a dragon and mankind.

    Half man half demon
    ST 54, DX 11, IQ 16, and 4 extra points.

    Very close to a lessor demon

    Lessor Demon (page 54 ITL)
    ST 50, DX 13, IQ 16

    A reptile man would be mankind plus a riding lizard

    Half man half riding lizard
    ST 14, DX 10, IQ 6, MA 14 and 4 extra points

    Reptile Man (page 51 ITL)
    ST 14, DX 8, IQ 8, MA 10 and 8 extra points
?When men began to multiply on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of heaven saw how beautiful the daughters of man were, and so they took for their wives as many of them as they chose.?
- Genesis 6: 1-2

In ITL Mnoren and deities do not have any listed attributes. I can understand the caution, but lets do the math anyway. A giant is the half-breed between a son of God and mankind. Working the numbers backwards one may be able to determine the attributes of ITL?s page 57 ?gods and demi-gods.? Demi-god attributes are ST 42, DX 10, IQ 6 and 4 extra points. Most people who read this immediately balk. They say "A demi-god doesn't have prootwaddle IQ.? TFT itself describes Ogres as 'the forebearers of giants' and with an IQ that is 'never over 6'.

    David Michael Grouchy II