Re: (TFT) Word value

>      Yes, feedback!  It will help whip this little article into shape.  Oh,
> by the way, I like your first sentence.  I can see you head shaking back and
> forth.

I enjoy most of your posts - lately, though, I've just been too dang busy
to do more than skim them.  It's amazing what a 7 month old baby does to
one's free time....

>     I see I need to clarify what was meant by "four heavy horse" in
> CHAINMAIL.  A system for mass minature warfare, the lowest rated unit was a
> light foot soldier.  They have medium and heavy.  Horse was another type of
> unit.  Heavy horse was a term used to refer to a plated knight on an amrored
> horse.  As a specific example a dragon was listed as the equivalent of
> twelve heavy horse.  Hit points and levels were not developed until later.

Ah.  I kinda wish I had a copy of Chainmail, but the typical going price ($25+)
is too rich for a game I know I'll never play, and I'm not a collector.

> >Well, given that in 2nd and subsequent editions of AD&D, TSR and Wizards of
> >the Coast have let the word "Hero" go undefined, it seems that this is
> >unlikely.  Well, the bigger numbers part, not the artwork part.
>
>      I'll thank you to leave Wizards of the Coast out of this.  I am trying
> to.  There is no use blaming them for the past.  They have done nothing but
> try to make things better.  [wry grin]

Yes, they are, and 3rd edition is a vast improvement over earlier editions.
So much so that it doesn't curdle my stomach to run it.

> >I don't know... Most D&D gamers I know haven't improved in Charisma in the
> >time I've known them, so E. Gary Gygax was probably basing that on his
> >personal experience.
>
>      Ohhhhhh ho, hahahah.  Nice barb.  Have you seen Gary Gygax's web site?
> In particular the guest book.  It is filled to the brim with flat out
> worship by fans.  Of course they have never encountered his charisma in
> person.

I've been to his web site, and exchanged a few words with him at GenCon.  A
second-cousin of mine taught his son Ernie (who created "Bigby", IIRC) in
high school, and even did some play-testing of modules for TSR.  So, I know
a little bit about his charisma.

> >Assuming, of course, that the thief or assassin is not a wizard.  Also, a
> >slime is not a hero, and neither is an Uncle Teeth, or a dragon.
>
>      You got me here.  I was intentionaly avoiding too much detail on the
> word value of "hero" in TFT for the sake of brevity.  But I ask you, if 4
> wishes were used on a slim's IQ, couldn't it also learn New Followers?

I don't remember if it's explicitely stated in the rules (and I'm at work,
so I don't have TFT handy), but I would think that you'd need some way
to communicate in order to learn and use "New Followers".  Now, maybe
an IQ 4 slime could communicate with other slimes, and form a slime-posse
to hunt down those evil adventurers that invade their territory, but I'm
not even sure a slime can communicate with others of it's own kind.

>      What about the number of follwers listed on the Charisma table.  I
> beleive the followers who magicaly appear at the "Lord" level, are mostly
> zero level men at arms to man the castle and stay home while the "Lord" is
> off on adventure.

Actually, now that I think about it more, I believe you're right.  Of course,
my memory of the rules differentiating "hirelings", "henchmen", and "followers"
has faded over the years.

But, then, that throws another wrench into your calculations, because I don't
recall any restriction that keeps 1st level AD&D characters from obtaining
hirelings and henchmen, and it takes a wizard (who can never be a "hero"
according to D&D terms) the same Charisma and cash to obtain a henchman as
it does a fighter.

Tony Merlock