Re: (TFT) Fw: definitions of humanoids

> Actually, there is a flavour of that overall in that
> humanoids (as opposed to demihumans) in AD&D were more
> evil/primitive. Apart hobgoblins who seem similar in both.

Hm?  In TFT, hobgobs are big and dumb.  In AD&D they're big
and *smart*, basically improved orcs.  I always thought of
them as the equivalent of tolkein's uruk-hai, I believe
there's even a reference in the monster manual to hobgoblins
being used to drive troops of lesser goblinoids into
battle--very uruk-like.

But yes, your point is well taken that AD&D goblioids are
basically just cannon-fodder. In TFT they're more civilized
and 'accepted'.  AD&D hews close to the Tolkein line in
these matters--the idea of a goblin merchant dealing with
humans would just be ridiculous in either Tolkein or
old-school AD&D.  (Except of course for Judges' Guild
material...)