Re: (TFT) Ty's New TFT Campaign -- Swords 'n Space

Me again...

I had further thoughts on this, especially since at one time in the
not-so-distant past, I was pondering this exact same type of campaign.

One of the problems you might face is the fact that, unless everyone
and their brother wears armor all the time, slugthrowers will remain
the weapon of choice for most thugs, and only pure military campaigns
will have a true 'swords-n-space' feel.  I don't know about you, but
my experience is that pure military campaigns are not as fun as
paramilitary or "adventurer"-based campaigns.

Now, if there were a common and inexpensive "force shield belt", that
could detect incoming objects and deflect them (or distort space so they
pass through the protected object), then slugthrowers would be mostly
obsolete - only weapons that fired projectiles too large for the belts
to affect, or weapons that fired projectiles too fast for the belt to
respond to would be effective (rail guns, anyone?).  They wouldn't protect
against lasers or other energy weapons, so maybe you need an anti-laser
screen, too (kind of like Star Frontier's Albedo and Inertial screens).

These would be used in conjunction with  hard armor for military types,
to defend against melee weapons, rail guns, and energy beams.

Just some thoughts....

Tony Merlock