Re: (TFT) Ty's New TFT Campaign -- Swords 'n Space

> Me again...
>
> I had further thoughts on this, especially since at one time
in the
> not-so-distant past, I was pondering this exact same type of
campaign.

> One of the problems you might face is the fact that, unless
everyone
> and their brother wears armor all the time, slugthrowers will
remain
> the weapon of choice for most thugs, and only pure military
campaigns
> will have a true 'swords-n-space' feel.  I don't know about
you, but
> my experience is that pure military campaigns are not as fun
as
> paramilitary or "adventurer"-based campaigns.

The scientific justification is that the body armor is light and
inexpensive -- and is really only effective against bullets and
the like. Most people who frequent dangerous situations will
have a suit. I could have used a Frank Herbert-style body
shield, but I thought that armor was cooler. Plus, it allows for
*some* gun use.

> Now, if there were a common and inexpensive "force shield
belt", that
> could detect incoming objects and deflect them (or distort
space so they
> pass through the protected object), then slugthrowers would be
mostly
> obsolete - only weapons that fired projectiles too large for
the belts
> to affect, or weapons that fired projectiles too fast for the
belt to
> respond to would be effective (rail guns, anyone?).  They
wouldn't protect
> against lasers or other energy weapons, so maybe you need an
anti-laser
> screen, too (kind of like Star Frontier's Albedo and Inertial
screens).

See Dune for a particularly well-conceived swords 'n sci-fi
universe. The book, that is. The movie and miniseries added
guns.

> These would be used in conjunction with  hard armor for
military types,
> to defend against melee weapons, rail guns, and energy beams.
>
> Just some thoughts....
>
> Tony Merlock

Thanks a bunch.

--Ty