(TFT) High Tech swords

Hi all,
	My wife is involved with the SCA and I've seen a
lot of swords made by various craftsmen.  These are
replicas of ancient weapons made with pretty traditional
metal alloys to much more modern alloys.

	A question that is always hung around in my
mind is:  What if we tried to make 'the perfect sword' using
all of modern technology?

	Would it be a titanium alloy with an ultra hard
thin layer in the center of the blade so it would be self
sharpening?  It could be thicker, and so almost impossible
to break. Would people make it longer, or would that long
a moment arm make it too unwieldy?

	Has anyone made a store of these modern blades
which will pop out if civilization collapses?

	Anyone have any thoughts on what a
present day ultimate sword might be?

	Rick