(TFT) Ty's Campaign Week 1

Well, we kicked off my new swords-n-space campaign. Here's the report:

Characters
Sigmund -- Age 30, ex-Imperial Secret Service Assasin. Swordmaster and
intrusion expert. Owes $6000 to Snifter O'Toole, an infamous crime lord.
Currently has $10,000 on his head.
Smokki -- Bulrathi (intelligent Bear). Not too bright, not too agile, but
very strong. Uses Greatsword 3 barreled Bulrathi handblaster. Mechanic and
vertol pilot.
Earl Grimm -- Age 30, ex-Imperial Marin. Strong, not bright. Uses Greatsword
and Stormgun.
Phad Nott -- Age 30, ex-Imperial Navy. Cowardly starship engineer and
demolitions expert. Uses pistol and shortsword.

Synopsis
The adventurers were poor and getting poorer. Their previous job was
crew/bodyguard for a rich young man. The job ended when Daddy pulled the
credit cards and left them stranded on Drakis, a sparsely populated
independent world in the DMZ between the Terran Empire and the Orkon
Heirate.

The adventure began in Skivvies, the local bar. A local university professor
hired them as bodyguards to accompany them to some ruins in the southern
continent's rainforests. As they were heading to Mac's Save-Rite Armament
Emporium to stock up on bug repellent and HEAP rounds, an assasin (on the
3rd floor of a building) tried to kill Sigmund with a stormgun. Smokki and
Grim rushed into the building and Sigmund climed the building side.
Unfortunately, he took 2 DS rounds from the stormgun and fell unconscious to
the street. Phad distracted the assassin by emptying his pistol (rather
ineffectually) at the assassin. Before the assassin could finish either Phad
or Sigmund off, Smokki burst into the assassin's room. Smokki's handblaster
smeared the assassin's henchman with a flechette round. Then Smokki, the
assassin, his other henchman and Grimm all commenced a melee. Meanwhile,
Phad injected Sigmund with an Injurax-V and an Injurax-III. Sigmund
recovered and joined the melee. By this time, Smokki was down and Grimm was
desperately defending. Sigmund knocked out the assassin and his henchment.
Upon awakening, Smokki hurled the assassin out the 3rd floor window. They
spared the henchman.

After buying equipment, they all retired to their rent house. They were
surprised by Snifter O'Toole and 4 henchmen. After some fast talking,
Snifter agreed to give Sigmund another month. But he added $4000 interest
and the $2000 retained he'd paid the assassin. Sigmund assured Snifter that
they could get the money.

They left the heliport in a rickety UH-9B Grasshopper jetcopter. 900 miles
into the rain forest, a starship suddenly appeared on a collision course.
Asked to make a 4/IQ roll, Smokki rolled 24! The starship crashed into the
copter and destroyed the cargo section (along with the food, equipment,
etc.). The remnants crashed to the jungle floor. Everyone survived with
minor injuries, except the professor who died.

The adverturers set out for the crashed starship, thinking that (a) it would
get them out of the rainforest if flyable; and (b) it could be salvaged and
would provide enough money to pay Sigmund's debt. They survived encounters
with "Greenies" -- primitive humanoids armed with spears, bipods (2
tentacled giant octopus-like creatures) and muckleaches (foot long leaches).
Grimm also almost drowned in quicksand.

When they got to the ship, they found it was sinking into the muck. Also,
the ship was infested by "biovores" -- genetically engineered killing
machines. The adventurers used most of their healing drugs fighting through
Deck 3. Phad made makeshift explosives out of Smokki's HEAP rounds. He used
them to blow holes in the deck hatches. They got down to Deck 2 and fought
more biovores, which used up their last few healing drugs. Sigmund hot wired
the Iris valve that led to engineering. They hoped to power up the ship from
engineering, which would let them operate the Iris valves. (They used up
Smokki's last HEAP rounds blowing the engineering Iris valve).

Unfortunately, engineering was filled with at least a dozen more biovores.
At this point, the adventure ended for the evening.

Best line: "It just occurred to me -- these things could *hurt* me" --
Sigmund in a fight with a biovore warrior.

Runner up best line: "If we handed Sigmund over to Snifter and got the
$10,000 reward, we could then pay his debt, right?"

Most dubious strategy: A tie: Sigmund climbing up the wall just below a
window from which an assassin was firing a stormgun. Smokki trying to light
a torch in a room filled with "petroleum distillates". A quote -- "will
someone *please* stop me from doing this?"

--Ty Beard