(TFT) Replies to recent topics

Aluminum and electrum:

I'm finding it interesting that stuff I wrote a score of years ago (and that
has certain inaccuracies) is stirring up some good ideas and discussion.

Timing:

I have more problem with missle weapons than with zero-time drawing. Out
comes the dirty little secret: I've been in the SCA for 24 years, fighting
the whole time, and other various martial arts during that time (including
fencing for 4 years in high school, and a nearly-useless semester of kendo
[good at hitting with stick, poor at kendo style]). I have yet to see anyone
who can pump out 12 shots in 30 seconds. The best I've ever seen was 8, and
there wasn't much accuracy at 30 yards (about 7MH: 1080" / 39 in/m / 2.5
h/MH * 1.5 m/h). Most everybody else can get off 6 with as much accuracy as
they ever get, and some get off 7. But, they're not Heros. It's also durned
hard to draw a weapon when someones swinging at you (usually, you get
smacked). But, I can get off a single-handed shot about once a second, if
not more.

So the real question (as it always is) isn't is it real, but does it fit.
Bow and a bit of DX is the only way (besides Two Weapon) to get 2 attacks in
a turn. But, if someone engages you, you have to stop. If you have Two
Weapon, your second attack has a (too...) hefty DX adjustment.

Magic Item Creation:
I don't find the creation SYSTEM to be disorganized. It's pretty easy: get a
spell, a book, a lab, some ingredients, and daily ST. Do the rolls, and you
get the item. However, it could easily be said that the published list of
items that can be made is disorganized.

Older stuff (the ideal character):
My old ideal Melee character was ST11, DX13 carrying javelin, mace, and
dagger, fighting with both weapons. If rushed, I'd hit with both weapons,
the mace at DX9, the javelin at DX11, double damage (not a bad average for
damage) (penalty for attacking with 2 weapons was -4 on each attack). If
they had missles, I'd move in, dodging, until I could get in a charge
attack. I also had the option to throw either weapon. But this doesn't work
with AM/ITL, because the DX penalty for not having the skill is now -6, and
the skill has a higher IQ than 8.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com