Re: (TFT) Replies to recent topics

Okay then, here we go.....

> Questions for the class:  How many transits, (T), of a 1000-foot drop
> shaft would an object need to make to achieve Earth-normal escape
> velocity, assuming Earth-normal gravitational acceleration?

gravitational acceleration is 9.8 meters per second per second. Escape
velocity is 11.2Km per sec.
This would be about 20,000 transits in 18.3 minuets. So T=20,000

> Given T from above, assuming Gate instability beginning on the 100th
transit of
> any particular gate, and taking into account the one-minute period of
> gate function despite instability, derive number of Gate pairs, (G),
needed to attain T.

Well the 100th transit would occur within the 1 minute 18 second mark at
which time the velocity would be something like 780 meters per second (I
rounded ALOT like 9.8 meters per second^2 up to 10, 11.2Km to 11,000 meters
and 1000 feet to 300 meters so this is all ballpark) and given 18.3 minuets
from above I'd have to say that we'd need 18 gate pairs or G=18. If that
100th had held off about two or three more seconds then we probably would
only need 17 gate pairs. I'm also assuming that part of the rule on the last
gate would have the Demon go up once the escape velocity was reached and
another gate is not needed for this.

> Given G from above, assuming Guild-standard 25-ST
> working days, and two apprentices per master, derive number of
> master/days to produce G.

That's a 100ST right? 18 + 18 = 36 * 100 = 3,600 / 75 (master + 2
apprentices) = 48 working days. I'd verify this one with DMG though.....

> Show all work.

Awwww man, I sooooo hated that one. I'll look up my extended character set
referance later.

> For extra credit: Volunteer to ride that puppy, so we can open a Gate at
> apogee.  Volunteers should be able to answer the following question:
>
> Will the Gate created in orbit be geosynchronous?  Explain if not, and
> describe.

This is DMG's answer;

<     No.  The earth will speed away from the gate at 29,750 meters a
second.
  Describe, you say?  Look at it this way.  What is easier, to travel 10 min
back in time or 1 year.
     One year of course.  In 10 min the earth will have moved 1785 km.  But
in a year it will right back here.  Each gate is locked to the center of
gravity of the object it was created on.  If a gate is created not on the
moon, and not on the earth, but in a space between, then it is considered
still within the sun's atmosphere.  Just like a gate 150km off the surface
of the earth would be.
     The Sun's galactic velocity is 250km a second.  This means the sun is
moving relative to the galaxy that fast.  The galaxy us moving relative to
the universe.  It goes on and on.  Unless a gate can "ride" on another body,
or in its relative atmosphere, it will be unattached, and be left behind.
     Now a question for you.  Can a gate 144,000 years old be waiting out
there for us to orbit into it?  Do gates suffer from re-entry?>

I'll just bring up some special cases here. First "I" couldn't ride it, not
being frictionless and all. Second if I set up a gate at either a Langrere
point or at the Earth/Moon baricenter then I'd think it'd hang with the
Earth's system (not geosynchronous for the baricenter however). Third if
these are set up on a pole or the equator then that could get a bit odd as
well.

Jay
"There is one thing that I would be glad to ask you. When a mathematician
engaged in investigating physical actions and results has arrived at his
conclusions may they not be expressed in common language as fully, clearly,
and definitely as in mathematical formulae? If so, would it not be a great
boon to such as I to express them so? - translating them out of their
hieroglyphics, that we also might work upon them by experiment."
M. Faraday writing to J. C. Maxwell unwittingly expressing his lack of
comprehension of Maxwell's field equations