(TFT) RE: demons in space (was Replies to recent topics)

From: Thorn <edt@dopey.ne.mediaone.net>
> Questions for the class:  How many transits, (T), of a 1000-foot drop
> shaft would an object need to make to achieve Earth-normal escape
> velocity, assuming Earth-normal gravitational acceleration?  Given T
> from above, assuming Gate instability beginning on the 100th transit of
> any particular gate, and taking into account the one-minute period of
> gate function despite instability, derive number of Gate pairs, (G),
> needed to attain T.  Given G from above, assuming Guild-standard 25-ST
> working days, and two apprentices per master, derive number of
> master/days to produce G.  Show all work.

If we ignore air resistance, it will take approx. 1100 seconds of
freefall to reach the proper speed, and in that time, the demon will
tranverse 5500 km. So, it will take approx. 16,500 transits of a
1000-foot drop to achieve escape velocity.

(Warning: Back of envelope calculations. High degree of estimation.)

---
Brett Slocum
bslocum@axxispetro.com <mailto:bslocum@axxispetro.com>
slocum@skypoint.com <mailto:slocum@skypoint.com>