Re: (TFT) Thoughts on Cidri

srydzews@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Of course, a ringworld or dyson sphere are always possible, but it's hard to give things an 'earth-like' appearance to to the residents with either of those set-ups.

What about 'layered' earths?  Pick a point, and call it zero.  Buy a
good watch.  Walk east.  When you've walked 'around' once, noon is still
noon, but you aren't in Kansas anymore.  You can walk west back to
Kansas, or keep going East, in which case you might get to Kansas
eventually, but after every earth-circumference you walk, noon is noon
again.  The number of layers might be limitless.  Maybe at the poles
there's some way to get from one layer to the next, maybe not.  There's
always Gates.

> What I'm thinking, though, is that maybe it's a cylinder.  This seems to be the easiest way to get a huge area with earthlike rotation speeds and sunset-sunrise patterns.  Climate variation could again be done with corrugations, or with atmosphere tinkering.

Or with Geostationary high-altitude Mnoren Everlasting Gates (tm),
scooping great swaths of cold air from points A, to drop it at points B?