Re: (TFT) mathmatics

While Cidri is a fantasy world I wouldn't dismiss allowing fantasy worlds to
follow actual physical laws. Even Middle Earth had gravity. Thorn mentioned
2 scenarios in which such a system of gates might appear in his world which
would make the whole exercise valid to TFT beyond simply exploring the
limits of the rules themselves. Not to mention the fact that the same
mathematics that you and Mr. Slocum are decrying were used to create TFT in
the first place. You think it's such a tight system by accident? If you
can't follow the math then why not just skip it rather than call attention
to the fact by griping about it? As a matter of fact, since you apparently
consider fantasy and rational thought incompatible, why bother useing any
rules at all?

Back in Junior High, when I used to get beat up for being a nerd, I brought
my D&D books to school one day. A couple of guys saw them and started
telling me about an adventure they were playing during recess and lunch and
asked me to play. What follows is the basic idea of how one of their typical
sessions would go;

DM "Okay you come to a big wooden door in the ground so you open it and you
see some stairs going down so you take the stairs and you come to a tunnel
and you go 6 squares and it splits left and right so you go right and you
walk 8 squares and you come to a room and there's a Troll....."

PC1 "I kill it!"

DM "Okay it's dead and it had a magic sword....."

PC2 "I grab it!"

DM "Okay it's a holy avenger. So there's a door and you open it and there's
a big room and there's a Dragon....."

PC2 "I kill it!"

DM "Okay it's dead and it's got a horde of treasure....."

PCs 1&2 together "I grab it!"

DM rolling a die for the first time "Okay PC1 you get the treasure. It's one
million platinum. So you go down to level 2 and there's Demigorgon....."

After this sorry display I tried running a dungeon myself but was quickly
accused of useing too many rules. Each to his own I guess.