RE: (TFT) eternal gates?

> Thorn
>
> I knew somebody would go there.  It doesn't matter if it oxidizes, it's
> still got its speed, even if it's a vapor, and it's going to get to that
> bottom gate.  Then it goes around again.

>From that perspective, the air itself would do the job - sans coin.  All it
would have is turbulence to slow it down, which would generate heat.  Lots
of heat.  Eventually the whirling air currents would impart enough energy to
the surrounding air that you wouldn't need to turn it off to destroy a
planet.

If you assume that energy cannot be created nor destroyed, then a device of
this type is simply 'borrowing' energy from somewhere else.  If it were
borrowing that energy from the rest of the universe - say from the
spontaneous annihilation of matter taken randomly from wherever matter
happens to be - then what you would have is a device for concentrating all
the matter and energy in the universe in a small place.  Most of it would
quickly escape the gate but that's a lot of gravity in a small space.
Eventually enough of the matter would be between the gates that the effect
of gravity from outside the gates wouldn't have much effect on the stuff
inside, but by that time you'd have the biggest (indeed only) black whole in
the universe between the gates.  Gravity takes over at that point, and
eventually it blows up and looks a whole lot like the big bang (if you
believe in that sort of thing).

Makes you wonder if maybe that's what happened to the LAST guys who tried
this trick...and if perhaps it isn't still running.

How's that for a tangent :-)

-Brad