Re: (TFT) Wither castles?

From: Pasha and or Rick Smith <pnrsmith@istar.ca>

 -<clip a lot of interesting stuff for the sake of space>-

	So the questions for the list is:  Should castles
exist?  Perhaps they should be comfortable airy houses
with little defensive value?  Do you have any stories of
how a small PC strike force eliminated mighty fortresses?
Any stories of how a castle defended itself successfully
against a powerful magical attack force?

                      The Citadel
             (A story of castle defence)

A little background first. The players have a lot of experience fighting demons in my campaign. The following tactics are super-classified and were learned at the cost of many characters and many years. I am reluctant to divulge them here without suspenseful build up. These secrets have really energized play when withheld from the characters for a long period of time and then allowed to be ?discovered?. That and they are just some of my House Rules. I am not sure if any of you will find them useful in your own campaigns.

Light candles and put them everywhere. Any demons that shows up during the demon spawning will stop to put out the candles first. Before attacking anyone. This information was bought by the characters from a Sage for $200,000.

Always stand back to back. A demon can teleport in, attack, and then teleport out before anyone can action the next round. By staying gone for one turn and then returning the demon can effectively ambush on every other turn. That is unless the characters as a group have no rear Hexes exposed. Then the demon is forced to fight someone to their face allowing them a chance to strike back. This tactic was developed by the first group of characters to return from the pits of hell alive.

Beg borrow or steal someone with Wizards Wrath. Rent a magical rod. Buy scrolls of it, but some how the characters must have Wizards Wrath if they want to go deeper than the first level of the pits. Many regenerating creatures can only be permanently killed by odd stuff. A twisted Drow can only be killed by moon-light, which is in short supply on the second level. A twisted Ogre can only be killed by sand-storm (or sand-blasting). Twisted Gnomes by liquid silver, Sprites by metal un-touched by light (i.e. in darkness), Goblins by blue fire (yes it has to be colored blue, flaming weapons can be made with a specific color), and Twisted Trolls by icy cold. Only Wizards Wrath can be made into all of these. If I had to guess, I would say that the information in this paragraph alone cost about 2 - 3000 character?s lives.

The children of Branya are stashed at the one of the three major Temples during the demon spawning. Islam, bhudist, and Christian. It has been discovered that Demons take 8 points of damage a turn they walk through concecrated ground (christian), 5D damage if they touch a door that has been prayed through by a Muslim facing Mecca, and 1D+1(like a flaming weapon) for any item that has been Communed with by a Bhuddist.

    Now the story about the Citadel and its defence.

So one character makes it really big. He both discovers a major Mithril vein, and figures out how to get the ore out before Hell can mount a counter attack. (How he did it, is information that will remain classified as long as I have anything to do with it) So he has more money that several kingdoms combined, and build a HUGE addition to Branya that he calls ?The Citadel? The place was huge. Three walled, one hundred towers, three great halls, and on, and on, and on. He spared no expense. Priests were brought in and every hex was consecrated. This took 1.34 years and cost just under 26 million. Personally I thought the player was nuts, but at least he was spending off all of his money. Every one of his soldiers was required to wear a bandoleer with two holy water molotovs. The permanent chapel staff was just over a hundred. He made maps on hex paper. Marked off every hex as it was consecrated. Had a cadre of wizards to use telepathy weekly on the entire garrison to check for possession. And a lot of other typically overly paranoid type stuff. Finding and recovering a drop of mithril during the Chaos wars is a major victory. No one had ever gotten an entire vein of the stuff out. He was still rich. Just as he was going to start filling his Citadel with a college of wizards labs to start churning out holy magic items for the war, his character was poisoned. A major Drow on the third level, with a crystal ball, cast an illusion of a fly for spotting and a telekenisis to carry the poison to the food. The Citidel is a howling haunted place now. An abandoned silhouette against the crater rim. One of the few buildings that is darker than the clouds above it.

    David Michael Grouchy II