Re: (TFT) Discuss: Explosive Gems

----- Original Message -----
From: David Michael Grouchy II <david_michael_grouchy_ii@hotmail.com>

>      With your house rules the wizard can also make an explosive gem that
is
> triggered if its aura is broken.  This gives me a wicked visual.  I have
> been toying with Neil Gilmore's gem generating program.  It allows for the

Nice to know that you find it useful. I really do like the program, but its
biggest problem is that I wrote the original tables back in high school,
armed with only an Earth Sciences class, and a book on minerals (at least I
didn't include halite as a gem...). Now that I'm (much) older, and have
actually done a bunch of jewelry and stuff, I really should go through my
supply catalogs and update the tables. For instance, I think I've only got
garnet in the table once. Now, of course, I know that there's several
different varieties and colors... OTOH, it kinda gives the campaign flavor
to have so many different gem minerals out there, and most of the players
don't know the difference. An advantage to updating the tables is that I
could get the prices much closer to current prices (at $10/gold, IMC), or at
least proportional.

I'd actually planned a bunch of updates to the gem program, including type
of cut, and the value of the cut, and generally improving certain aspects of
the tables by reducing them to formulae instead of tables (the gp/flaw
table, in particular). One house rule I use is that a Repair spell can
repair one carat of flaw in a gem. It's a fairly popular spell now.

> generation of a lot of gems.  So when I read your rule I imagined a chest
of
> gems with one particular gem on top.  The "security gem".  Any
unauthorized
> person who gets near will set off an explosion.  The other gems would be
> unharmed.

Oh, darn! My secret is out...

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com