(TFT) Re: Healing Spells, Balance, and Inflation

Hi Thorn, everyone.
	The thing I objected to was the D&D style
of play where people get wounded, clerics heal,
wounds, heal, wounds, heal, etc.

	If I'm going to have a fight and things are
so close that the party was wounded I don't want to
spoil the DRAMA of that fight by trivializing the
wounds.

	However I found that the drama was hurt
by the requirement of having to stop adventuring
to rest up in the local inn.  And people _just_  _kept_
inventing D&D style healing spells.  Obviously
something was needed.

	What I eventually did was make a line of
spells that would speed natural healing and not
require bed rest. (Thus you could heal while mountain
climbing in blizzards the way Conan always did
between comic books.) The very powerful spells would
heal up to a couple points of recent wounds (like
physicker).

	This has worked very well in my
campaign to preserve the drama of close fights
while not slowing down the adventuring.

	They have an additional advantage out
side the game. With these spells in place players get
a sense of how much it costs to heal someone and
don't suggest the IQ 12, 2 fST, heal 1d damage type
of spells I used to see all the time.

	I agree with the problem you mentioned of
gills of healing potions.

	I have NEVER allowed people to heal from
more than one wound per fight so keeping track of
individual hits becomes trivial. Basically the rule is
a physicker can heal 2 hits at the end of a fight, but
if the player only took one hit during the fight only
one pt. can be healed.

	I absolutely agree with what you say about
the flavor of the campaign varying from GM to GM.
I'm sure many GM's and players LIKE the D&D style
mechanics.

	But for me, wounds will stay dangerous, (unless
you are wealthy enough to afford the healing potion
shortcut).

	Rick