Re: (TFT) Curses!

Pasha and or Rick Smith wrote:

> > So, what happenes if you throw a 6-ST Curse (-3 on all rolls) on a foe,
> > and then cast _another_ one?  -6 on all rolls?  -3 on all rolls, but
> > each Curse removed seperately?  Or (I like this best) -3 on all rolls,
> > and -3 to any Remove Thrown Spells cast against the first Curse?
> >
>     What I do is say that the larger curse takes effect and the smaller
> one is ignored. I'm uneasy about multiple curses making it harder to
> remove curses because (IMHO) the Curse spell is already pretty
> good. Also when it is on a PC, far from town, curses are a royal
> pain in the butt.

I submit for your consideration that they are supposed to be.  I further
suggest that equivalent-cost damage spells are the 'gold standard' for
butt pain.  :)

I dont' mind your interpretation of ignoring the lesser curse(s), but I
would not rule they go away; I'd have them linger, at the very least.
"Thrice-cursed" is just too good a nugget of verse to render
nonsensical.  :)

> > To keep in line with folklore, I would let a Curse be self-removing, if
> > conditional terms were met.  Those conditions could be broad or narrow,
> > but once stated, are beyond the control of the caster.  It's just too
> > genre not to do, "True love's first kiss", and all that.
>
>     I allow Curses to have a 'removal limitation' added to them for free
> when the curse is cast. If this rule is met, the curse vanishes. If the rule
> is impossible there is no reduction in cost. If the limitation is possible
> but
> very difficult to fulfil, there is a 10% reduction in cost (round reduction
> DOWN). If it is fairly easy to remove the curse then the cost reduction is
> 25% (round reduction DOWN).

I loathe haggling with spellcasters over exact percentages versus
wording of limitations.  So I would just require certain traditions to
include limitations.  Surely a pure mage could just 'unluck' someone,
while a witch of fairytale would spin some sort of 'by the dark of the
moon' gibberish.  :)  TFT already allows those trads to graduate out of
those worded limitations, by increasing IQ to the point no incantation
is needed for the spell.  (The 'Evil Eye' of folklore, perhaps?)