Re: (TFT) Indirect Fire

<Many snips>
>I have seen many an exciting war movie in the ancients and
Midieval vein
>that have had rows of archers firing a rain of arrows onto
the enemy.

Yep. Lovely sight if you're the one shooting.

>These
>archers  would knock their arrows (or is it knock their
bows?), step
>forwared a pace, angle their bows at about 40 degrees and
fire in unison.
>Not one Aimed their shot at the enemy.  What did the damage
was mass of
>arrows coming down.

>14)  All this assumes seeing your enemy.  I guess you could
do enmass
>indirect fire over the castle walls.  Would that work the
same as what I've >thought up here?

For indirect fire behind cover (like walls) I'd reduce
the possible hits by 50% right off the bat to take into
account the number of arrows hitting the
walls/trees/fixtures
that the targets would be sheltering behind & under.

>Any comments on  EnMass Indirect Fire?
>Hail Melee,
>John Paul

Yes. The archers raising their bows to 40/45 degrees or so
and letting loose was to get the MAXIMUM possible range from
their bow and try to inflict casualties/damage morale as
early as possible. Peasant levies couldn't handle the
psychological
shock of all those waves of arrows peltering them and would
break and run.
Trained infantry didn't like it either but knew the accuracy
sucked and usually continued on.

I'd probably suggest you extend the weapon's range catagory
by 25-33% for everyone firing and for characters allow them
to "aim" at this range with an additional -4 DX modifier to
represent the longer "hang time" of the arrow and the better
chance that the target has moved enough for the shot to
miss.

sorry, quick comments...need coffee....

Mack