(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #202

In a message dated 06/11/01 12:32:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
tft-owner@brainiac.com writes:

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:30:32 -0400
From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Solo 1 & Civil War Data needed

Message text written by Michael Taylor

HENRY RIFLE +, 8d6-3 damage, 4.7 kg, Min. ST 14/7 (7 two-handed), Cost
$160, Shots 15, ROF 4 (fires every 3rd turn, or every other turn if adjDX
15+), HS 12, ST 23, Accurate (fires as normal Missile Weapon), need Rifle
(R, 7/1) talent to use, To-Hit : 16-17 = Miss, 18 = Dud

SPENCER CARBINE +, 8d6+1 damage, 4.2 kg, Min. ST 14/7 (7 two-handed), Cost
$190, Shots 8, ROF 4 (fires every 3rd turn, or every other turn if adjDX
15+), HS 13/ST 23, Accurate (fires as normal Missile Weapon)), need Rifle
(7/1) talent to use, To-Hit : 16-17 = Miss, 18 = Dud<

Sorry about that Justin - I thought you were crazy but I double-checked and
your quite right - these numbers are way off! I miss-typed. The numbers are
actually suppossed to be:

HENRY RIFLE, 4d6+1 damage, 4.7 kg, Min. ST 14/7 (7 two-handed), Cost $160,
Shots 15, ROF 4 (fires every 3rd turn, or every other turn if adjDX 15+),
HS 12, ST 23, Accurate (fires as normal Missile Weapon), need Rifle (R,
7/1) talent to use, To-Hit : 16-17 = Miss, 18 = Dud

SPENCER CARBINE, 5d6-2 damage, 4.2 kg, Min. ST 14/7 (7 two-handed), Cost
$190, Shots 8, ROF 4 (fires every 3rd turn, or every other turn if adjDX
15+), HS 13/ST 23, Accurate (fires as normal Missile Weapon)), need Rifle
(7/1) talent to use, To-Hit : 16-17 = Miss, 18 = Dud

My source is from Greg Porter's More 3G3 Guns!

And I agree completely about the Bayonet taking on spear/polearm
characteristics when attached to a rifle.

My bad! I'll be more careful checking the conversion formulas next time!
Michael

One of the other things about this conversion is the rate of fire. These both
are rapid fire, cartridge useing rifles for the time, the Henry was one of
the first lever action rifles, and the Spencer was the one that had a tube
magazine in the buttstock, I believe (IIRC, the Spencer carbine was the
weapon the Morgan Freeman's character used in the Clint Eastwood movie
Unforgiven, I'll have to rewatch it again to make sure) The turns are 5
seconds long, so the Henry would at least get a single aimed shot per turn,
as would the Spencer. Now the old Springfield  rifle-muskets would have the
ROF that you state, it took about 20 or so seconds to reload one of those
beasties, so 4 or 5 turns to reload sounds about right. These are all rifled
weapons, so are a LOT more accurate than your bows and crossbows, so you
might want to set up a new range modifier chart for these. The pistol that
you mentioned was rifled too, and capable of better accuracy than you are
giving it credit for. It should only have that bad a Dex minus if fired rapid
fire (more than 1 shot a turn), if fired single shot per turn, use normal
missile weapon accuracy. The drawbacks of the early revolvers wasn't
accuracy, it was reloading time, as you had to add powder, bullet and
percussion cap to each chamber separately. This is why you see in westerns
set pre-Civil War, most of the gunslingers will carry several, to avoid
having to reload during a fight. Confederate raiders were big fans of these,
and some carried half a dozen at a time.
If I were going to do a campaign set during this time, I would use Ty Beard's
rules he posted for his High Tech campaign, I forgot the URL. As I recall, he
used several range bands, varying on the Accuracy level of the weapon.

John Hamill
JohnDHamill@aol.com