RE: (TFT) Rick's Old /Space Gamer/ Ad

From: Pasha and Rick Smith

    I got two sales from that ad (one was to Michael
Taylor I believe).

From: Michael Taylor

Yep - that was me! A very neat thing too!

Who was the other?

From: Pasha and Rick Smith

I think it was Howard Trump.

Rick, Michael,
Let me get this right. You two were doing buisness all the way back then? This just blows my mind. I mean I knew several people on the news group had written articles for the Space Gammer, I knew that one member had actually been in contact with the copyright holder, and I knew that one had gotten the Actual TFT eratta from S.J. which I don't think had ever been published before being placed on his web site. The word incestuous comes to mind. This news group I mean. In a nice way.

On another subject how about I let out with some hear-say that used to go around in Baton Rouge after Metagamming went under but before G.U.R.P.S. was released. The word on the street was that SJ and HT had had some kind of falling out. An argument or artistic dissagreement kind of thing. Apparently HT wanted TFT to evolve into a type of mass miniature type of game, but SJ wanted to go in a more detailed role playing direction. HT felt that SJ wasn't living up to the original assignment. After SJ left, HT tried to do it on his own, and as most people I knew at the time said "Lords of Under Earth" wasn't very good. On yet another, buisness related, subject; I had planned to hire a private investigator to find out about HT, and the current legal status of Metagamming. If it was under a lein from creditors or something. But the private investigator I use in Louisiana told me that he couldn't opperate in Texas. Apparently the legal system is is based on the Napoleonic code and licensing here is completely invalid in the rest of the country. I didn't want to have to pay full price, and I was just toying with the idea anyway, so I dropped it and never followed through. Instead I started [did I mention this was about two years ago?] working on the idea of a squad level system of TFT that would be accurate to the results one would get if they had played it out with individual characters. This is the area of major failure for "Lords of Under Earth." It didn't give results anything like same group of individuals would get. Anyway, it turned out more challenging that I thought, though I did learn a lot of interesting things about working as a unit or team in TFT. I did make a major discovery though, and I say that in all humility. The play testers absolutely loved it. It is a different way of using dice. It is based on the underlying TFT mathmatics, but it is sufficiently different to be copyrighted on its own. It is defenitely something more than origianl TFT. So I am no longer concerned with the revival of metagamming as it once was. I am now positioning myself to Reincarnate it into something else. I never wanted to violate HT's privacy anyway.

    David Michael Grouchy II