RE: (TFT) Rick's Old /Space Gamer/ Ad

From: Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com>

A side note here: game mechanics cannot be copyrighted, only the
text describing them.  It's generally legal to create add-ons to
game systems, though that doesn't necessarily stop corporate
lawyers from nipping at your heels about it.

Joe,
The first part is exactly what I found. As for lawyers nipping at my heels, well, that would be progress from my perspective. It would be contact from HT, and maybe they would be interested in a counter offer. Besides I have gone to great lengths to make sure that the new material can be copyrighted in its own right. I believe, and feel I could defend, that it is an advancement of both the art and science of original TFT, that it is something more. Of course that is just my end of it. The play testers were thrilled with it. I suspect that most people won't even recongize it as TFT. They will probably think it was inspired by G.U.R.P.S. or something. Only true TFT affecionados will recognize it, and even then, as something different. A side bar about some of the playtesting. One thing that really suprised me was that non-TFT players picked up on the combat system quicker than TFT players. It took an average of 3 fights to get the "feel" for it, but TFT players took and average of 5 fights to "get it." I think it is because they kept approaching it like it was just TFT with a new paint job. Once they finally "got it" I would see something marvelous. Child like excitement.

   David Michael Grouchy II