Re: (TFT) Re: getting HT's attention

From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>

The devil is in the details and too many writers have
been tempted to do TFT "only better" and screwed it
up by changing one slight detail which wasn't quite
the flavor of play that TFT was.

Michael,
Eaxactly what I found. I tried several time to do TFT "only better" and found it didn't work. Some minor nuance I had altered would come back on me with huge ramificaitons. After being confronted with this over and over I finally accepted what the evidence was showing me. There is no such thing as "better" TFT. Not in rewriting the whole system, anyway. This is one of the reasons TFT has benifited by being a dead game. The origianl gem has remained unaltered, unchisled, and undistorted. I have noticed that living games evolve away from what they originaly were. Also I found that the exact wording of the rules in TFT stand up well if there is a debate during a game. Players who are trying to bend the rules to their purposes have a habit of taking one sentence out of context and reading it at the GM to support their position. When read in the context of the entire section the meaning is usually perfectly clear. That effect is very hard to reproduce by just re-writing the game.

    David Michael Grouchy II