Re: RE: (TFT) spell prefixes (vote please)

Michael Taylor wrote:
> I tend to think that as long as you *don't* lower the
> cost of talents for wizards though, that the social and
> practical aspects of wizards being so specialized tend
> to balance the characters in an RPG campaign (though
> not perhaps in "arena" combat).

I largely agree with this.  However, I do think wizards have
a fundamental superiority over heroes in that they get to
change the rules of the game.  The spell and talent lists
are, when you boil it down, just parts of the rules. Spell
research allows wizards to change and extend the rules.
There is no 'talent research' that allows heroes to invent
new talents, or 'weapon research' that allows them to invent
a new kind of sword.

Now of course a new spell needs the GM's approval, but
I'm not even talking about abusive spells.  The ability
to create perfectly reasonable spells is incredibly useful.